Thursday, February 18, 2010

When Anger is Your Friend


Often, we think of anger as something bad in our life. As children we were taught not to display it, feel it, or talk about it. We were to simply swallow our feelings or throw them into the nearest bedroom wall and leave them there. Unfortunately, anger rarely stays where we want it to.

Anger comes in numerous shapes and forms. Sometimes it grows small, is buried deep like a seed, under cover of darkness and damp. At other times it violently explodes in colors of orange and red, spilling from your mouth and hands like humanoid lava, covering those whom you would choose to love and protect. It can turn inward, asking you to feed upon, or starve your own flesh, or turn outward and be fired out the barrel of a sawed-off shotgun. No matter what form anger takes, once it has been established in our lives, it never departs without an invitation to do so.

I've lived most of my life in anger. Anger was my friend, my protector, my shield against the hurtful things of the world. I used my anger like a blanket, comforting myself with self-righteousness and justification. It kept me warm at night, left me steamy and sweaty as it rested just below the surface of my skin. Yes, with my anger I could keep arguments going for days, excuse my rudeness towards family and friends, tell off anybody who got in my way and stop people in their tracks with a cold look and keep from really being honest with myself.

Yes anger was my friend. But like any relationship that is not based in love and respect, anger and I had an horrible break-up. My anger began to manifest in the form of panic attacks. I had a decision to make - give up the anger or die. Anger was not longer my friend. I needed as a kid, growing up in the projects, but the woman I became could not longer carry the weight of it.

After several years in therapy, I have finally replaced the anger with self-confidence, self-worth, self-love. The weight is lifted and I have be-friend-ed myself. Anger is no longer my friend, though he does come pass at times (like when Bernard is out past his curfew, or Christian doesn't clean his bathroom, again!, or Jerome refuses to take life wholly serious), but he doesn't stay for long.

Peace Unto You,
Tina

6 comments:

  1. "...if anger is ur friend dont u knw wen u die u'll come bak again." tina marie

    as christians we tend to think of the afterlife in only one way, but as i read ur post i thought of the many ways we die to ourselves (as we ought) only to ressurect and relive the same old entanglements. is it anger that keeps us reliving our tortured pasts?

    "i thank God, thank God i aint commin bak now more. i bin here b4 ..."
    lj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the response Anonymous. i love Tina Marie and have always believed her words
    "if anger is your friend don't you know when you die you'll come back again." Love it!

    I definitely believe that anger keeps our in our tortured past, current, today.

    Peace
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anger is never good for us. Of course we will all experience anger in our lives many times. We have the choice to keep it or let it go. Many times the letting it go & very hard because we have been hurt by people we love or care about. We have to take it to the LORD most times for us to get healed so we can more on with our lives & not incur pain or sickness in our lives. Also many times we feel we have entirely given us the anger & pain but it is still lingering there. Many times i have been healed in church just by GOD ministering to me in song & by his holy spirit. It is hard sometimes when you cant go to the person you had anger issues with & deal with them because they may be sick so you dont get to truly understand why some things happened. But we can get thru all things thru CHRIST who strenghs us. pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok well I know Christian very well and I know he puts full effort into cleaning his bathroom. But on the topic, Anger is never my friend it's always get me in trouble because it comes out at the wrong time or sometimes on the wrong people. What works for me is maybe going outside to get some fresh air, talking to the big guy upstairs(GOD) playing video games or talkin to my favorite aunt.This is a great webpage and maybe this will help other people who are working on anger being there friend.

    Good luck with everything Tina!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well anonymous sounds like you're doing some good stuff to work on your anger issues. It's never easy confronting our weaknesses, but the benefits we receive are so worth it. Keep struggling with your demons until you get the 3 count on 'em.

    Peace unto you,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete